Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FIXED GEAR & SINGLE-SPEED BIKES?
- On a fixie, the rear-cog is fixed to the rear wheel which means that they are unable to rotate independently of each other. So, if the wheels are moving then the pedals will as-well, just like on a child's tricycle.
Bearings in the sprocket mean that this is not the case for single-speed bikes however. The wheels can turn even if the pedals are not, enabling the rider to coast.
So, fixed-gear and single-speed bikes differ in that fixies do not permit coasting whilst single-speed bikes do. Click here for a full comparison and list of advantages of riding in either fixed or single-speed.
All Quella bikes come with a 'Flip-Flop Hub' meaning they come with both a fixed and a single-speed rear sprocket. All the rider needs to do is turn the rear wheel around to switch between the two.
- SHOULD I RIDE 'FIXED GEAR' OR 'SINGLE-SPEED'?
- This is entirely up to you. The most prominent difference between the two is in the inability to 'coast' on the fixed side of the hub. As such, riding fixed-gear can feel quite strange for those who have not tried it out before . So, if you're hitting the road straight away we would recommend going single-speed. Another consideration would be the amount of hills in the area that you live and the routes you will be taking. If there are many and you want to be 'coasting' downhill rather than relying on the power in your legs, single-speed is what you want.
- WILL MY BIKE ARRIVE SETUP IN FIXED GEAR OR SINGLE-SPEED?
- All our bikes are sent out as single-speed by default, but if you would like it to be setup in fixed-gear simply mention this in the comments section of your order. Alternatively, and thanks to the Flip-Flop hub that all Quella bikes come equipped with, you can easily switch between the two by simply turning the rear wheel around.
- DOES MY FIXIE COME WITH PEDALS & BRAKES?
- Yes, they do. We often photograph our bikes without brakes or pedals for aesthetic purposes but rest assured that both are provided in accordance with UK and EU regulations..
- DO I HAVE TO ASSEMBLE MY BIKE?
- Your bike will arrive 90% assembled. You will need to attach the pedals, brakes and handlebars, drop the seat post in and tighten all the bolts. The bike comes with a multi-spanner, as-well as a 4,5 & 6mm Allen-Key which is all you will need to put it together.
It is possible to build the bike with just a moderate knowledge of bicycles but Quella highly recommends that all bikes be built by a professional bike mechanic for safety and proper tuning. Shipping direct to your local bike store for assembly is possible.
Quella will not be held liable to any damage cause from incorrect assembly of the bike. See here for full terms and conditions of our warranty policy.
- WHAT TOOLS WILL I NEED TO ASSEMBLE MY BIKE?
- All the tools you will need to do the final assembly of your Quella bike will be supplied with your bike. All except a tyre pump - You will need one of these to pump up the tyres obviously!
- WHAT FRAME SIZE DO YOU RECOMMEND?
51cm frame size is suitable for riders 5' to 5' 5" tall
54cm frame size is suitable for riders 5' 6" to 5' 10"
58cm frame size is suitable for riders 5' 11" to 6' 1"
61cm frame size is suitable for riders 6' 1" and above
If in doubt, select the smaller size.
- WHAT ARE FIXIE GEAR RATIOS?
- Gear ratios are calculated by dividing the number of 'Teeth' on the main chainring by the number of 'Teeth' on the rear-cog. The higher this number, the harder it is to accelerate and the higher the potential top-speed that can be achieved. As this number, or ratio, gets lower however, accelerating becomes easier and the potential top-speed decreases.
The way you can adjust this ratio is to change the number of 'Teeth' on either of the sprockets. To increase the ratio you need to either increase the number of 'Teeth' on the main chainring or decrease the number of 'Teeth' on the rear-cog. Conversely, to decrease the ratio you must either decrease the number of 'Teeth' on the main chainring or increase the number of 'Teeth' on the rear-cog.
Our bikes are setup to ensure the best fit for commuters. This means that the rider can get plenty of speed on the straights whilst still being able to set off easily from the lights. For more information on gear-ratios and how they affect your ride click here.
- WHAT PAYMENT METHODS DO YOU ACCEPT?
- Quella accept all major credit & debit cards. All payments are carried out securely via Sagepay or via direct bank transfer.
- WHERE DO YOU DELIVER & HOW DO I GET A QUOTE?
- Quella deliver to all UK & most International destinations. For a shipping quote go to your basket, enter your delivery address into the ‘ESTIMATE DELIVERY’ box & click ‘GET QUOTE’ (ensure you have the items you wish to order in your basket first!).
We offer FREE UK Delivery as standard on all bike orders & FREE EU Delivery on orders over £50.
- HOW DO I ORDER A CUSTOM BUILT FIXIE?
- Quella offer custom bike builds on our Quella One frames. We are able to paint the frame to your desire RAL colour in either a matte, gloss or metalic finish. We also have a team of airbrush artists ready to provide a complete bespoke frame painting service as required.
You also get to choose the colour of all of the components on your Custom One bike from our stock list and to the specification of the current One model.
Lead-time is usually 14-28 days to dispatch depending on the complexity of the frame paintwork and custom builds start from £695.00.
If you are interested in one of our custom one-of-a-kind fixies contact us now to discuss your requirements.
- HOW DO I TRACK MY ORDER?
- You will receive an order confirmation via email upon receipt of your order, an invoice upon payment and a dispatch note when the bike has been sent out - in which you will find your tracking details. You can use these details to log onto the associated shipping company website - a link for which will be provided in the dispatch email - to find out when your delivery will arrive.
Alternatively, the customer service departments of the respective shipping companies are very good so give them a call if you need to know in more detail when your bike will arrive.
- WHAT IS YOUR RETURN & WARRANTY POLICY?
- Returns Policy and Warranty